PhD Programme in Healthy Society @ ARISE
- Ageing Medicine
- Social Integration & Education
- Care & Lifestyle Enhancement
- Interdisciplinary research to support NTU’s Peak of Excellence in Healthy Society
- Supervision and mentoring by top professors across Schools in NTU
- Opportunities for collaborations with healthcare institutions, agencies, research centres and overseas institutions
- Opens worldwide
- Graduates with a Bachelor’s degree of at least Second Class Upper Honours or equivalent qualifications from a recognised university
- Graduates with a passion for interdisciplinary research in science, engineering, and related aspects of ageing research
- Good GRE scores for applicants with grades from overseas universities
- Good TOEFL or IELTS scores for applicants whose native language or medium of undergraduate instruction is not in English
- For more details on admission requirements, please visit here.
There is no bond attached to the scholarship.
The scholarship is tenable up to four years of the PhD studies, or up to the date of graduation, whichever is earlier.
Benefits of the Scholarship Award
- Full tuition fees worth S$200,000
- Singapore citizens and Singapore permanent residents are eligible for Nanyang President’s Graduate Scholarship, NTU Research Scholarship, EDB-IPP Grant and A*STAR Graduate Scholarship
- International applicants are eligible for Nanyang President’s Graduate Scholarship, Singapore International Graduate Award (SINGA), NTU Research Scholarship and A*STAR Graduate Scholarship
- Monthly stipend up to S$3,500 (for Singapore citizens), S$3,200 (for Singapore permanent residents) and S$2,000 (for international applicants) Note: The actual stipend will depend on the class of honours obtained for the Bachelor’s degree and type of scholarship.
- Overseas conference allowance up to S$3,000 per candidature and local conference allowance up to S$800 per candidature
The scholarship award will be reviewed annually and its renewal is subjected to satisfactory performance and academic results.
Further information can be found here
Applications are required to be submitted online. Please select programme code 193C for PhD Programme in Healthy Society at ARISE.
Please visit here to find out details on how to apply for our PhD research programme before submitting a formal application. Incomplete submissions will be rejected.
There are two intakes per academic year. The closing date for submission of applications for August intake (Semester 1) is 31 January and for January intake (Semester 2) is 30 June.
- Completion of a minimum of 12 Academic Units of graded graduate level courses within 12 months and 6 Academic Units of audited graduate level courses before graduation
- Completion of three compulsory courses as prescribed by the University
- HWG702 University Teaching for Teaching Assistants (to be read within first year of enrolment)
- HWG703 Graduate English (may be exempted if meeting the exemption criteria, to be read within first year of enrolment)
- Epigeum Online Course on Research Integrity (self-study module available online, to be read within first year of enrolment)
- Completion of one compulsory course as prescribed by Interdisciplinary Graduate School
- Research Communication course (compulsory, to be completed by 5th semester)
- With a Cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.50 and above out of 5.00
- Exemption from the coursework courses may be granted if the student is deemed to have already done sufficient coursework in the relevant area in a Master's degree programme at a recognised university
PhD Qualifying Examination
- Must pass the PhD Qualifying Examination within 15 months of admission
- The format consists of a written report, oral presentation, and oral defense
- Examination by local examination panel
- Publication of first- or second-authored research papers in top-tier journals (if any)
- Upon successful completion of the required coursework and PhD Qualifying Examination, a student becomes a doctoral candidate, with adequate preparation to research and write a doctoral thesis on the research topic.
PhD Thesis Examination
- Must pass the PhD Thesis Examination within 5 years from the commencement of candidature
- The format consists of thesis, oral presentation, and oral defense
- Examination by both local internal and overseas external thesis examination panel
- Publication of first- or second-authored research papers in top-tiered journals (if any)